It is with great interest that I submit this research interest statement outlining my academic background and intended research trajectory. I have completed a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree as well as a Postgraduate Diploma in Archaeology, both of which have strengthened my commitment to pursuing advanced research in the scientific dimensions of archaeology.
My foremost academic interest lies in forensic archaeology, a relatively new discipline both within archaeology and within the broader criminal justice system. I am particularly drawn to its potential for applying scientific inference, problem-solving, and analytical skills in order to address complex research questions. The role of the forensic archaeologist is especially crucial in contexts where physical evidence is limited, as archaeologists are trained to locate, recover, record, and interpret material traces from a scene. These abilities make forensic archaeology invaluable in both medico-legal and humanitarian investigations.
My interest in this field was shaped by opportunities to attend lectures and later engage with a range of scholarly articles and papers on the subject. Another motivating factor is the limited presence of forensic archaeologists in Sri Lanka, where only a handful of experts have thus far contributed to the field. This scarcity has inspired me to direct my efforts toward developing expertise that can both advance academic knowledge and meet national needs.
For my research, I intend to focus on bone taphonomy, particularly the effects of taphonomic processes on skeletal trauma. I aim to investigate how decomposition, environmental conditions, and other natural and cultural processes such as scavenging, erosion, weathering, and flooding contribute to the transformation of human remains. My study will also explore the varying patterns of bone decay under different climatic and environmental conditions in Sri Lanka. A further area of interest is the distinction between natural pathologies and trauma-induced changes in the human skeleton, as well as the potential for applying chronological dating methods to forensic evidence.
Through this research, I hope to contribute not only to the advancement of forensic archaeology as an academic discipline in Sri Lanka but also to its practical application within medico-legal contexts. My broader aspiration is to help establish a strong disciplinary framework for forensic archaeology in the country, thereby strengthening its role within both archaeology and the justice system.
No comments:
Post a Comment